2009-03-23

Monday March 23- MY SON HAS MOOBS

I saw him come out of the bath with a towel around his waist, earlier in the day.
I've known it for a while but I can't deny it any more.

11 years old, and my boy has man boobs.
He's a tall boy. Genetically a husky fella; to see him you wouldn't think "fat";
but as of late we have to keep replacing his jeans because the middle just doesn't fit.

Theres a rootbeer belly that hangs over his waist band, and u
nderneath the skin from his chest to his groin are large "cottage cheesey" dimples.

I am a hodge podge inside~

Mortified, guilt ridden, ashamed.


Me! The Natural Food Coach with unhealthy children!

The only consolation is the observation that he's still not
as bad as most boys out there....

Have you seen the stats on childhood obesity? OUTRAGEOUS!!
Whatever happened to the day with hard working farmboys, who keep the yards, hauled the garbage and climbed trees, rode bikes and played street hockey till you had to call them in because of the dark.




Now, I have to force them away from the Playstation with the reminder that "TV is for when we don't have friends over"
Do little boys even know who is sitting beside them
as they stare into these flashing screens,
blowing things up for hours on end?


But solely, I know it falls on me.
I'm the mama
. Its on my shoulders.

I'm the one that takes him thru the drive thru as a treat or
brings home something quick,
empty and carby when I work late.

I'm the one that has made movie and chip night the expected norm and not the treat because I'm to tired to pull out the board games, or pack us up for an adventure.

I'm the one that compromises the family budget and decides what is more important to spend the money on than our health.

I DON"T WANT THIS FOR MY BOY!!
I DON"T WANT THIS FOR YOUR BABIES!
More than everything in the fiber of my being...
I DON"T WANT THiS!

If this is the start of their adolescence we already know what their future holds....

diabetes, heart disease, ONE THIRD of the leading cancers have a permission
to flourish and grow in my son's body! Will my grandchildren be without their daddy?
Will they have to watch him struggle and fight to enjoy the family he will be blessed with?

And what about his beautiful brillant brain?
Is it missing the ESSENTIAL FATS and other goodies it needs to flourish?
Will he be prey for depression, mental illness?
Will he look in the mirror and struggle with his identity?

He will be at a greater risk for alcohol and drug addiction....
the sugar cravings will be master over that.

I DON"T WANT THIS FOR MY CHILD!
I DON"T WANT THIS FOR YOUR CHILD!!

We sat in the living room reading books last night~
I watched him. Not 2 hours ago, he finished a nice solid supper.
But here he was, reading; book in one hand, bag of pretzels in the other.

In, in, in went the pretzels....
I don't even think he knew they were in his mouth

So mom did it... she got up and took the bag!
You would have thought he was about to die,
but with a reminding that the sun would come up tomorrow

he complied.....

One wee little battle won... but we are entering a merciless war....

No comments: